Thursday, October 7, 2010

It's FALL!

So perhaps it's because I live in Texas and truly miss actually having 4 real seasons throughout the year, but in the past few years I have developed a love for the fall season. Now, fall in Texas is tremendously different from that of Washington. In Washington, it is probably in the 60's with dewy mornings and crispy nights. In Texas, it is just now dropping down to the 70's (though it's really still in the low 80's for most of the day) with crispy mornings and nights and warm days. Previously, I would have thought that this was ideal. Now.... not so much. I want COLD! lol Not like freezing, but 40 - 50's sounds amazing! There's just something about wearing a long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, and jeans that sounds so COMFY! Plus, sitting on the couch watching football sipping on a warm beverage sounds so appealing. 

My current obsession: pumpkin. Weird huh? Okay, maybe not too weird. After all, it is fall. For the past couple of days I have been craving pumpkin drinks and food. On Sunday I wanted to go to Starbucks so badly to get a Pumpkin Spice Latte, but I did not get a chance to go, so I came home and decided to make one myself.. and then I decided to make Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate. :) 
I found a great recipe for Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate at this site: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/10/pumpkin-spice-hot-chocolate-mix-recipe.html. The recipe didn't call for any sugar though so I did add 1/4 cup to it. The recipe is as follows:
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar (my modification)
Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl. Store the mixture in a container. Stir 3 tablespoons in a mug with hot water or milk. Enjoy!
 
I also found an awesome recipe for a Pumpkin Spice Latte at this site: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/pumpkin-spiced-latte/Detail.aspx. The recipe on the site makes 3 servings, but can easily be scaled down to 1, which is what I've posted below. The recipe is as follows:
  • 1 cup hot whole milk
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons white sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 ounces double-strength brewed coffee
  • 1 tablespoon sweetened whipped cream (optional)
  • 1 pinch pumpkin pie spice (optional)
 In a blender, combine milk, sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Blend until frothy. Pour mixture into a milk with coffee, mix. Top with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice, if desired. Enjoy!
 
HAPPY FALL! 


No comments:

Post a Comment